Healthy People. Better World.
About Direct Relief
Direct Relief is a humanitarian aid organization, active in all 50 states and more than 80 countries, with a mission to improve the health and lives of people affected by poverty or emergencies. Without regard to politics, religion, or ability to pay. Direct Relief’s assistance programs are tailored to the particular circumstances and needs of the world’s most vulnerable and at-risk populations. This tradition of direct and targeted assistance, provided in a manner that respects and involves the people served, has been a hallmark of the organization since its founding in 1948 by refugee war immigrants to the U.S.
In a world where the tide of the human condition is on the rise for so many, there exists a sharp humanitarian imperative to assist those whose lives remain threatened by disease, poverty or disaster. It’s what guides Direct Relief’s work in areas where governments and global markets are either unable or unwilling to engage in improving the health of people who are sick or hurt.
What guides Direct Relief
- Serve People. Improve the health of people living in high-need areas by strengthening fragile health systems and increasing access to quality health care.
- Lift from the Bottom, Pull from the Top. Focus on serving the most medically underserved communities in the U.S. and abroad, working with the world’s leading companies, greatest thinkers, and best institutions.
- Build Upon What Exists. Identify, qualify, and support existing healthcare providers over the long term and serve as a catalyst for other resources.
- Remove Barriers. Create transparent, reliable, and cost-effective channels to enable medically underserved communities access to essential medical resources (particularly medicines, supplies, and equipment).
- Play to Strengths. Partner for Other Needs. Engage in activities that address a compelling need and align with our core competencies and areas of excellence. Ally with an expanded network of strategic partners who are working on related causes and complementary interventions in order to leverage resources.
- Ensure Value for Money. Generate efficiencies, leverage resources, and maximize health improvement for people with every dollar spent. Maintain modest fundraising and administrative expenses.
- Be a Good Partner and Advocate. Give credit where due, listen carefully, and respect those served and those contributing resources.
- Respond Fast While Looking Ahead. In emergencies, support the immediate needs of survivors by working with local partners best situated to assess, respond, and prepare for the long-term recovery.
- Do not discriminate. Deliver aid without regard to race, ethnicity, political or religious affiliation, gender, sexual orientation, or ability to pay.
- Aim high. Combine the best of business, technology, and public policy approaches for the benefit of people in need.
6100 Wallace Becknell Road
Find Direct Relief also on:
Direct Relief operates in:
- Donate Bitcoin through Donate a Bit explanation:
All donations are initially received in the Bitpay account of the Donate a Bit foundation. Once a month these donations are transferred to the charity organizations. Before transferring we contact these organizations to make sure that their bitcoin wallet is still available and that they have still access to it.
For more information please visit: Donate Bitcoin through Donate a Bit explanation
New text and material:
If you are the owner or responsible of this organization and you want to provide us with new texts and material. We love that. Please use the submit button.